Blogs > Field of Play

Sideline to sideline coverage of area high school sports.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

More from the Brooklyn wrestling sectional

So Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy had to drive past the Beachwood sectional to get to the Brooklyn sectional CVCA, Chanel and Cuyahoga Heights ranked second through fourth in the final Ohio D-III wrestling poll all were a part of the Brooklyn sectional. Keystone and Fairview moved down from D-II. Wellington, Brooklyn, Independence, Columbia, Elyria Catholic, Oberlin and Lutheran West all had quality wrestlers. Not everyone was going to be able to get out.


It seems that several district quality wrestlers had their seasons end early because of how the sectionals were formed.


Oberlin had one champion in Mason Bremke at 189 pounds. Bremke is a junior and determined to pave the way for more of his teammates to join him in districts next year.


“I really like my coaches and my team is really good but leadership comes from pulling them with you,” Bremke said. “If you are the only one then you pull three or four guys coming with you next year. We have a young team with all juniors so someone has to be the leader. It means a lot to me. “


Keystone heavyweight Anthony Chizmadia was upset and pinned in the first round by Wellington’s Sam Rodgers.


Chizmadia rebounded by pinning Cuyahoga Heights’ Devin Prater and pinning Rodgers in rematch to finish third.


“I had to wake up a little bit,’ Chizmadia said. “Time to go right here and right now.

I just reversed him. I am not one those guys who like it slow. I like it fast and long. I don’t like to dance out there with those big guys.”


Chizmadia believes his team will bounce back and have a strong districts.


“A fourth placer here could easily go on and win state,” he said. “One bad day so what, you keep going and trucking on through. I am always proud of these guys. There are my best friends right now. I love each and every one of them to death. Look for us next week, I bet you will find even better results.”

Keystone 103-pounder Brian Spangler is ranked the second best in his in D-III. The number one ranked wrestler Nathan Tomasello just happens to be in the same district. Spangler lost 8-2 in the semifinals.


“We knew Brian would have a tough kid in the semis,” Keystone coach Jim Pycraft Sr. said. “Hopefully we will be on opposite sides of the bracket and if we see again next week then we know we are where we want to be.”


Elyria Catholic coach John McNulty was ecstatic about his team’s performance.


“It is great,” he said. “We have been down the last few years. I am proud of all the team and moving up the ladder as a team. They didn’t quit and they want to get the tradition back at Elyria Catholic of a tough wrestling team. And they are the ones doing it. I am extremely happy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home